Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Is my plumeria going to live after frost damage?

Hello, I live in Greece and have a plumeria from Madeira. It was about 18 inches long, just one branch and gave flowers last summer. This winter we had a freak snow storm which damaged the plumeria. The problem is, at the time we didn't know the plant was a plumeria and thought it was dead anyway so we left it. I suspected it might be a plumeria in which case we should trim off the dead bits, but somehow between me and my hubby we convinced ourselves it wasn't





Now I am pretty sure it is and over the last 2 months I have seen the rot slide down from the tip to most of the plant. Last night I decided that the plant was going to die if we didn't do something so I trimmed it off till I got a clean cut. Now from 18 inches there's about 5 left.





Is it going to make it?

Is my plumeria going to live after frost damage?
Hey Dot,





After reading about plumeria care, it sounds like you got a fungus. Winter storage should include removal of leaves, and not allowing it to go below freezing.





I cannot say for sure if it will live, time will tell. Pruning was the right thing to do. Check the root system.





Hope it does live.
Reply:The amazing thing about plumeria is that you can store them bare root during the winter. Then, pot them up in spring and they'll leaf out and bloom w/o a hitch. now how many trees can do that?? I prune my plumerias right after winter ends. You did the right thing to get rid of all the dead wood. Put Rootone on the tip of the cut, you can then let it dry (callous over) . Warmth and sunlight should bring it back beautifully!


No comments:

Post a Comment