Friday, May 21, 2010

LOVELIEST of trees, the cherry now... - A.E Housman?

I need help understanding this please!





THE POEM:


http://www.bartleby.com/123/2.html...





I have to explain what it means. I understand the first stanza about it saying that the cherry trees is blossomed with cherry flowers along the limbs and it stands out when one is riding wearing white for Spring (Eastertide.)





But I don't understand the rest!





1.) How old is the person that the poem is talking about? (2nd Stanza. - I THINK he's 70?)





2.) What does, "To see the cherry hung with snow." mean?


Because isn't it impossible because they cannot grow during winter? (the snow.) (3rd Stanza)





I really need help with this. =\


Thanks in advance!








THANKS! %26lt;33

LOVELIEST of trees, the cherry now... - A.E Housman?
Sorry I disagree with you about the age thing. He speaks of his "threescore years and ten" which you guys correctly identified as 70. Though I believe he is referring to the 70 years of his life that he thinks he will live out. His current age, I read as "twenty will not come again". I.e He is only twenty once in his life. "And take from seventy springs a score", so if from his total life of 70 years take a 'score' (20), he will only have 50 more beautiful springs in his lifetime to view the cherry blossom trees.





To me, the poem is slightly about death but also juxtaposed by the theme of life, symbolised by Eastertide and the cherry blossom trees. The whiteness of the blossoms could also signify the the nearness of death and purity which reminds us of the frailty of life. This also ties in with the permeant theme of the 'limited time one has to enjoy nature.' There is also religious connotations associated with Easter, Jesus and rebirth etc.





The "hung with snow" can be read in several ways though with no concrete and specific answer. Though there may be a more popular or relevant interpretation:





Since "fifty springs are little room" to enjoy the fullness of their beauty, "about the woodlands" he will go, and visit/watch the "cherry" [trees] even when they are "hung with snow". I just thinks he will watch them even in Winter.





"Hung with snow" could also simply be a poetic device to liken the appearance of cherry blossoms with snow.
Reply:I have got you covered. :-)


Good job he is 70! 3 score means 3 times 20 and then plus ten





I don't think he is really talking about actual snow. Cherries have white blossoms so I think he is talking about that. These flowers come out in Spring (Eastertide).





The main thing to understand is that he is looking at how little time he has left in the world but he is going to make the most of it and go look at the cherries and appreciate them.





Note: I really wish I had my notebook from last semester with me, it had my notes about this poem. Anyway, hope it helped!


No comments:

Post a Comment